Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lesson I Phase II

         Last week, I completed the lesson! Good news: It lasted exactly 30 minutes, Bad news: Quality was lacking because of background noise and one of the videos had poor audio timing. There were only two out of the expected three classmates available for me to teach. Looking back, I would have done more modeling and provided head phones to eliminate the distracting background noises. Both participants received over 90% on their projects, and from their responses on the survey, they enjoyed it too!
Classmate #1: 
Classmate #1's rubric: 93%
The poor audio timing would have ruined the entire project if I had not collected and required students to write down their script. Because I was able to read what this classmate intended to say, I was able to score her highly on storytelling, grammar, and her script. She also used her Ken Burns editing well, and arranged pictures well, I can understand what the story is about even though her audio cuts off awkwardly. In my part, I allowed myself to assume she understood how to edit audio well enough after watching her accurately do it with minor assistance from me. It would also have been useful to have had a preview of her work before she finalized, saved and sent the video to me, again, a place where headphones would have been a lifesaver. In a normal classroom, I would have her edit her sound before presenting it to the class. 
Classmate #2:
Classmate #2's rubric: 98%
This classmate seemed to have a better handle on iMovie, though she commented later that I may have given her too much space while working on her project. Most the narration was great, but she talked super fast during a couple of the slides, which may have indicated she wasn't aware of how to expand frames to align with audio. 
Since I showed how well my classmates did, here's how they think I did: 


If I had the chance to do this lesson again with 4th graders, here's my list of things I would do differently:
-HEADPHONES, HEADPHONES, HEADPHONES!
-A long lesson where I model aligning audio with visuals, preferably with a projector connected to my computer. 
-Handouts with step -by -step instructions for building their iMovie complete with screenshots and pictures
-Make an iMovie with directions for students to follow
-Have students let a buddy review their project before showing it to me
-Have a checklist of rubric items for them to be aware of
-Explain more thoroughly how to save their work and submit it through Google docs. 
-Watch their projects before they send them my way
-Share on our classroom blog for parents to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment